NERA's vision is Australia as a global energy powerhouse, a sought after destination for investment and the leading source of knowledge and solution.
As the only industry-led research and knowledge organisation for Australia’s energy resources industries, NERA is the go-to centre for energy resources solutions, technologies and services, and is uniquely positioned to support sector-wide transformation and unlock +$10 billion of new value for the Australian economy.
Since its inception in 2016, NERA has worked to maximise the value to the Australian economy by developing an energy resources sector that is globally competitive, sustainable, innovative and diverse.
NERA is engaged across the value chain to achieve significant industry efficiencies; identify and support digital, automation and other innovative technologies; develop future workforce skills; and ensure that there are regulatory frameworks that support future investment, innovation, productivity and global trade.
Our SectorCompetitiveness Plan (SCP) provides a roadmap to unlock that value for the Australian economy, with a strategic focus that involves accelerating the development, commercialisation and deployment of technologies that strengthen Australia's position as a global hub for excellence in energy resources innovation and enhance our global competitive advantage by supporting the development of a world-class supply sector.
NERA’s strategic activities will target the collaboration, R&D, technologies and services, capabilities and skills and fit-for-purpose regulation that are required to:
- Reduce costs and improve efficiency across the whole value chain, through rapid sharing and transfer of technologies and solutions and improved operating practices and business models.
- Develop, adopt, adapt and deploy novel digital technologies and solutions to unlock value and productivity gains.
- Commercialise and adopt hybrid, renewable and clean technologies to reduce input energy costs and waste and lower emissions.
- Work with the sector to support their plans to manage the energy transition, such as to develop alternate energy solutions including Hydrogen (e.g. leverage the LNG industry’s experience in cryogenic process plants).
- Support independent and trusted sources of research, science and data and transparency around industry performance and environmental impacts.
Over the next decade, major sector challenges will transform the product and technology mix of successful energy and resource companies globally, particularly the need to invest in digital/data technologies, address climate change, reduce emissions and, increasingly, find competitive alternatives and renewable energy solutions. NERA is playing a key role in creating the collaboration and innovation connections essential to ensure Australia successfully navigates this transformation.